Welcome to the Fall Term of Classes at Melody Lane Dance Music and Drama Academy!
We are SO excited to host you for our 40th season and have prepared the following information to help you have a happy, healthy, and safe return to classes. Please review before your first class for the smoothest transition back to classes. We look forward to seeing you soon!!
Melody Lane is a Safer Studio™
MLA follows the More Than Just Great Dancing!® Safer Studio Guidelines which prioritize a hierarchy of safety and wellness measures including:
• Wellness checks for staff
• Frequent hand hygiene
• Enhanced cleaning procedures
• Minimizing mixing and mingling via social distancing practices
• Curricular and facility adjustments
• Gradual re-opening and continuous parent communications.
• Please see below for the specific way MLA is applying these guidelines for the fall Term.
Wellness and Shift Checks for Staff
• MLA is a Youth Protection Advocates in Dance® Certified Studio. Additionally, all teachers and staff members will receive regular and continuing safety training as it relates to preventing community spread of COVID-19.
• All staff members are wellness checked before their shift.
• Adults are asked to not send their children to class if they, or a member of their household, have a fever or respiratory symptoms.
• Adults are asked to not send their children to class if they, or a member of their household, have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
Frequent Hand Hygiene
• Employees will wash hands and/or sanitize before and after each class.
• Hand sanitizing stations will be available outside of all entrances, outside of every classroom, and inside the classrooms. Students will be encouraged to wash hands and/or sanitize before and after classes.
• Hand hygiene posters are posted within bathrooms and classrooms.
Enhanced Cleaning Procedures
We have increased our cleaning frequencies and sanitation procedures in high traffic areas and high touch surfaces of the studio such as doors, viewing windows, barres, floors, counters, stereos, and bathrooms.
Minimized Mixing and Mingling
We have made facility, scheduling, and curricular changes to reduce mixing and mingling in support of social distancing recommendations. However, we understand that unlike older children and adults, young children cannot be expected to maintain social distancing at all times.
MLA has adapted local and State phase requirements to help us move through each phase. We are prepared to begin and continue to hold classes in which ever phase our state is in as we move forward into the fall. MLA has been closely monitoring local, state and federal recommendations and requirements to ensure we meet or exceed expectations. The mental, physical, and emotional health and safety of the entire MLA Family is at the forefront of these procedures and policies. As a Youth Protection Advocates in Dance certified studio, a More Than Just Great Dancing affiliated studio, and a MTJGD Certified Safer Studio we are making every effort to continue to provide quality performing arts education.
Facility & Curricular Adjustments
• All lobby waiting areas, viewing areas, student study areas, lockers, staff room, etc will be closed unless specified.
• Please bring clearly labeled water bottles. Drinking fountains will not be available.
• Dancers will bring all dance bags into the studio for changing shoes. Locker rooms will be closed. Bathrooms will be available for toileting only, but not for changing clothes.
• No food will be allowed in the studio.
• Curricular adjustments have been made to eliminate prop use and hand-holding and to reduce mixing and mingling in the classroom.
• Class sizes have been modified to reflect current county recommendations
• Classrooms will refrain from high fives, hugs, fist bumps, any materials "handed out" (like papers or stickers) to performers will be done from MLA staff wearing gloves
• Classrooms will have staggered start/dismissal (3-5 minutes) to allow for student transitions.
Continuous Parent Communication
• Please visit our website and join our MLA Family Private Facebook page where you will find a stop and go light icon that clearly indicates the status of classes: Green indicates it is safe to attend your regular classes. Yellow indicates a cautionary change to service delivery. Red indicates clients should stay home and attend class online.
• We encourage all students to use the restroom at home before coming to class.
• Bathrooms will be limited for emergencies and will be cleaned frequently
• Bathroom facility use will be limited to the two unisex bathrooms for this term. All bathroom use will require a key from the front desk.
Arrival & Departure
• All performers will need to bring their class pack with them each week, please no back packs, large bags, or extra clothing.
• Class Pack information will be provided for each genre. PLEASE NOTE: the class pack will be the only thing allowed to enter the building with performers (aside from a labeled water bottle and their shoes).
• Drop off will take place outside the building, please arrive 5 minutes early for class, after using the bathroom at home, dressed and ready to go, performers will be able to change their shoes in the building but not their clothes.
• Spots will be available outside the front door to wait for class to begin, all classes will be brought into the building by a staff member. All performers waiting outside the building need to wait with an adult until a staff member admits the performers into the building.
• Upon entering the building please follow the instructions of any signage posted.
• At this time, we ask that guardians wait in their cars or outside during classes to help with social distancing in the building. Guardians of performers under the age of 7 are able to walk performers in the building to class but are asked to wait outside in their vehicles once class starts unless otherwise instructed by a MLA staff member.
• Broadway Babies and Debut Dancers: guardians will be able to attend class with their performer.
• Please be sure whomever is waiting for pick up has their cell phone and make/model of vehicle listed with the front desk so MLA is able to contact them during class if need be.
• Please limit drop off/pick up to one person. Sibling visitors cannot be accommodated inside the building during this term.
• Please exit the building using the exit you are directed towards by a MLA staff member or posted signage.
• Guardians will be asked to wait outside for performers to be released. At the end of class, guardians need to wait near their vehicle then come to get their performer from the door, performers will be brought out one at a time. Please no waiting outside the door for pick up that area is reserved for drop off only.
• See the 2020-2021 Policy Paperwork Packet for MLA late pick up policies.
• Performers cannot walk across the parking lot without an adult for safety reasons.
• Our employees will be wearing masks while on the property until otherwise directed by local and or state health authorities.
• As of 7/7/20 anyone 5+ years must wear a mask per WA state mandate, it is recommended for children ages 3-4 and not recommended for children 2 and under. If your performer is 2-4 years old MLA will allows parent/guardian discretion regarding mask use for that performer.
• All these reopening policies and procedures are adapted from directions taken from website of Washington State Governor Jay Inslee and related WA state government sites.
State and Local authority reference documents (updated 7/13/20)
"Safe Start Stay Healthy"
"Face Coverings State Wide"
"Phase 2 Fitness and Training Restart COVID-19 Reopening Requirements - Update"
"Resuming Fitness and Training- Memorandum"